Topi Rats


Specializing in Healthy & Charming Fancy Rats for Pet and Show

Danger Foods for Rats

These are all food that should not be fed to your pet rats.

Green part of potatoes, potato 'eyes' : They contain solanine, which is a poisonous substance.

Onions : Contain substances that may cause blood problems.

Cooked or processed foods : May be deficient in vitamins or may contain food additives and preservatives.

Chocolate : Contains a methylxanthine called theobromine, a substance similar to caffeine and toxic to some animals, also very high in sugar content.

Candy : High in sugar, may cause choking and can lead to obesity.

Unwashed vegetables and fruit : May contain traces of harmful chemicals and pesticides.

Some peanuts : May be contaminated with aflatoxins, a poison. They are also fatty, and in excess can lead to lethargy and obesity.

Lettuce : Causes diarrhea and some contain laudanum, a toxic substance. Iceberg lettuce has little nutritional value and should be avoided.

Spinach and beet tops : Can cause urinary tract problems and stoned due to the high levels of oxalates.

If you are not sure about the safety of any food, do not feed it to your rat. To kill bacteria on produce, make sure you soak it for 10 minutes in a freshly prepared solution of a seventh of an ounce (4 ml) of household bleach and 1 quart water. Be sure to rinse the bleach solution completely off before offering to your rat to eat.

***If your pet accidentally ingests any of the above foods call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435 or your veterinarian immediately.***